At Threshfield Primary School, we teach Phonics through a scheme called Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised. This is a complete systematic synthetic phonics programme (SSP) developed for schools by schools. It is based on the original Letters and Sounds, but has been extensively revised to provide a complete teaching programme which meets all the expectations of the National Curriculum.
At school, phonics is taught daily for children working at Phases 2 - 5. Phase 1 phonics, is taught through all areas of our Early Years and Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum, which are our preschool and reception children. Phase 1 includes environmental sounds, instrumental sounds, body percussion, rhythm and rhyme, alliteration and voice sounds.
At phase 2 (from the beginning of reception), children have 3 reading practise sessions per week, to help build fluency in decoding and automatic reading.
The intention of this page is offer the parents and careers support, so they can support the teaching at home.
On this page, you will find the following resources:
1. The video of our Parents' Information Evening for Phonics and Early Reading.
2. The programme of study. This will enable you to know what your child is learning each half-term.
3. A glossary to support understanding of the terminology used with your children.
4. Capital Letter formation.
5. The letter formation and sounds order.
6. Ensuring you are saying the correct sounds when decoding words is essential. Therefore, videos to support the pure pronunciation of the beginning sounds are provided for you to watch.
Here is a link to Collins ebooks where you can access your child/children's ebook each week: https://ebooks.collinsopenpage.com/wr/index.html
Here is the link to the 'For Parents' section of the Little Wandle website. https://www.littlewandlelettersandsounds.org.uk/resources/for-parents/