The Intent of our Art & Design Curriculum
At Threshfield Primary School we believe that art is a vital part of children’s education and has a significant and valuable role in the taught curriculum, as well as the enrichment opportunities we offer our pupils.
Our unique art curriculum develops children’s critical abilities and understanding of their own and others’ cultural heritages through studying a diverse range of male and female artists.
Children will develop their understanding of the visual language of art with effective teaching and considered sequences of lessons and experiences. Understanding of the visual elements of art and design (line, tone, texture, colour, pattern, shape, 3D form) will be developed by providing a curriculum which will enable children to reach their full potential.
The Implementation of our Art & Design Curriculum
The school’s art curriculum is supported through the availability of a wide range of quality resources, which are used to support children’s confidence in the use of different media.
At Threshfield we are guided by the National Curriculum for Art and Design which aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- Develop a wide range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
- Create sketchbooks to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- Improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials
- Learn about great artists, architects and designers in history
The Impact of our Art & Design Curriculum
Classroom displays reflect the children’s sense of pride in their artwork and this is also demonstrated by creative outcomes across the wider curriculum. In addition, school sketch books celebrate children’s achievements in art and demonstrates the subject’s high status in the school.
The Art curriculum at Threshfield contributes to children’s personal development in creativity, independence, judgement and self-reflection.